For today’s prompt, tell us three things that you believe in your heart to be true. Tell us three things you believe in your heart to be false.
I seldom use the word Believe, unless I’m saying I don’t believe. I’d be more inclined to say I think. I realize the two words can be synonymous, but for me the word believe implies a certain closed-mindedness. I’m so put off by the arrogant certainty of Believers that the very word is spoiled for me.
- I think more attention should be paid to the serious problem of overpopulation. The planet is over capacity now with 7 billion people and nobody wants to talk about it. Every 10 seconds a child dies of hunger. Some say we have already entered the sixth mass extinction. Why are we not addressing overpopulation?
- I think birth control should be free and readily available to every woman in the world. It should not be the business of any religion to interfere with a woman’s right to control her own body.
- I think education has been neglected in this country to a shameful and alarming degree. Climate change deniers, science poo-pooers, Dominionists, Creationists and Young Earthers will be the death of us, if we stand idly by, saying nothing.
I Don’t Think
- I don’t think children should be allowed to suffer and die because of their parent’s belief in prayer instead of medical care. Parents should be prosecuted (as they are in Oregon) for failing to provide medical care to children.
- I don’t think religious institutions should be tax exempt (taxpayer subsidized) or above the law. Child abusers and those who protect them should be prosecuted like any other citizen would be.
- I don’t think tax dollars should support private religious schools by way of vouchers.
Some articles of interest.